Check out some tips to ensure the health and safety of your home plumbing system
The last thing you want to find when your family comes home from vacation is a flooded house! A flood in the home can be one of the most traumatic experiences for a homeowner. The damages are extremely expensive to
repair and you may never be able to replace many nostalgic things that you may lose.
What many people don’t know is that floods often occur because of bursting washing machine hoses in their basements or laundry rooms. At The Plumbing Works, we want to let you know of the potential dangers that can happen to your property if you fail to check and replace your washing machine hoses. Here are a few preventative maintenance steps that will help you maintain your home, your wallet and your peace of mind.
Just like your pipes, the older washing machine hoses get, the worse their condition becomes. They can burst, crack and deteriorate chemically as well. At The Plumbing Works, we’re all about service. Our trained, experienced professionals know that checking your hoses every year for damage can help to prevent unnecessary water leakage, but even more, it is incredible important to replace your washing machine hoses every 3-5 years. Replacement of your hoses will make all of the difference.
Don’t let a flood find you, take advantage of these tips to help maintain a healthy plumbing system:
- DON’T run your washing machine when you’re asleep or not home. If you aren’t able to hear your hose burst, you are increasing the chance of potential damage to your home.
- DO turn off the valve above your washer when you go on vacation or leave the house for long periods of time. Shutting off the water supply to the washer will eliminate any problem with the hose while you’re away.
- HIGH-QUALITY IS KEY when it comes to buying washing machine hoses. There are two different types of hoses and both work great:
- Reinforced rubber hoses are reinforced with braided rayon or polyester mesh to increase bursting strength. This is the older version of the tow but it is extremely reliable to this day. One major thing to note is that if you buy this type of hose **make sure the label says REINFORCED**. There are a lot of low-quality hoses that are not reliable.
- Stainless steel braided hoses consist of a flexible plastic hose enclosed and braided in a flexible mesh of stainless steel wire. This type is slightly more expensive than the first, however, is has a lower failure rate when it comes to problems.
- CHECK your hoses every year. Look for cracks, breaks or any unhealthy sign of wear
and tear. And check out our Client Testimonials!
- REPLACE your hoses every 3-5 years to avoid unnecessary problems, floods and water
leakage in your home.
- MONITER your progress! Keep a note sheet or a pad of paper on the wall near your washing machine or washing machine hose. That way, every time you check or replace your hose, you can mark it down and won’t forget the last time you looked at.
Our Company Philosophy is simple – to provide the best service available!
We care greatly about our customers and our community in Reading PA and the Greater Berks County area.
We never enjoy seeing our customers struggle through inconvenient plumbing problems… but when they come, we are the perfect team to take care of them for you.
- Drain Cleaning
- Water Heaters
- Water Treatment
- Plumbing Repairs
- Plumbing Installations
- Plumbing Maintenance
- Indoor Air Quality
- HVAC Installations
- HVAC Repairs
- HVAC Maintenance
- …And more!
If you have any questions for us or would like to schedule a service appointment today, please
call The Plumbing Works at: