Count on the Plumbing Works for all of your Installations, Repairs, Tune Ups
… and Laughs!
The fall and winter seasons are coming quickly… but before we fill you in on important tips and hints to make sure that your plumbing system is ready for the fall, we thought we’d share some funny plumbing information that we have picked up and learned along the way. At The Plumbing Works, we know that plumbing problems can cause you major inconveniences and they are no laughing matter… but the plumbing industry isn’t as dull as you think it is. As plumbing service specialists, we have all seen and heard some crazy things and now, we’ll fill you in on some of the excitement. Who says learning doesn’t have to be fun?
From plumbing fixtures like toilets and faucets, to broken and exploding pipes, to drain cleaning and the sewer line system, people have seen and learned some crazy things. Take a look:
On Pipes, Sewer Lines, & Clogged Drains:
Did you know that 85% of pharmaceutical drugs that we ingest leave our bodies through urination? What that means is… there are drugs and medicines invading our sewer systems! The EPA has done a lot of research in this topic and has discovered that trace amounts of the following things (and more!) are contaminating our sewers: Antibiotics, pain relievers, estrogen, caffeine, and anti-depressants.
Weird Things We’ve Found… Believe it or not… In Pipes:
– A bed sheet- Hot off the press? More like hot off the mattress!
– An unopened 6-pack of beer- Not sure how or why… but we wonder if someone drank it after recovery.
– The head of a mop- Who knows what got absorbed in that mop head?!
– False teeth- Apparently, this isn’t that uncommon at all. Don’t bite off more than you can chew around an open drain!
– A live badger- How it got there is still a mystery but it was rescued and made a safe recovery! Wonder what else is living down there…?
– 14 Pairs of a Man’s Underwear- Yes, they were all from the same residence! Maybe he confused them for toilet paper?
Interesting Question: Why are manhole covers for the sewer round?
A. Round manhole covers are easier to put into position because they don’t need to be rotated to align. If square covers were used, when turned diagonally they would fall through their own opening.
It’s time for the Toilet
True or False?
In the southern hemisphere, the water flushes clockwise down the toilet while it flushes counter clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere – due to the Coriolis Effect.
FALSE! It’s not about where you are, it’s about the direction that your rim jets are pointing! Each toilet has the capability to flush both counter clockwise and clockwise. And that’s the truth!
Are we taking toilets too far?
One hot new trend of the decade is heated toilet seats. Instead of getting a nice chill in the morning on your behind, these are a luxurious way to keep your toosh warm. On average, they go for over $300 a piece! Is it worth the price you pay? You tell us!
- An average of three years of a person’s life is spent on the toilet.
- A classic bathroom debate… Do you put your toilet paper on the holder the flap hanging in front or underneath? Over $100,000 was spent by the United States on a study to try to get to the bottom of this… And the results? 3 out of 4 people prefer the toilet paper flap in the front. Waste of money? We think so…
Almost ready for the Fall? Check out our Heating Repair and Maintenance
Information now to be prepared:
Did you know…?
– 9,000 gallons of water is the average amount per household that will be wasted when people are waiting for the temperature to change. Talk about water treatment …!
– Who can be credited for Lead-Free Standards when it comes to faucet construction? California and Vermont. Thanks to them, faucets are no longer made with lead which is dangerous for your health. Thanks to these two Green Plumbing front-runners, we don’t have to worry about it any longer.
Who is the most famous plumber in history?
He lives in Mushroom Kingdom and answers to the name Mario… at least that’s what his cousin Luigi told us! This Italian-American Plumber is one of the most iconic video game characters of all time. With wrench in hand… the princess awaits his rescue!
We told you that not EVERYTHING about the plumbing business is as boring as you think it is! At the Plumbing Works, we try to take every experience we have and learn something new from it and we encourage you to do the same! When you need plumbing installations, repairs and seasonal maintenance, it’s never fun. But it needs to be done to make sure that your plumbing system is in top-top condition and to make sure that you do all you can to avoid those costly, unexpected plumbing problems. You’ll thank yourself in the end!
– And don’t forget about our Heating & Cooling Services!
Our professionally trained staff is prepared to help you make sure your plumbing system is set-up for the fall and winter seasons so stay tuned to our blog and we will keep you up-to-date with things you need to look out for and ways to help our clients in the Reading PA and the Greater Berks County Area. We hope you enjoyed learning some unique facts about plumbing. Take advantage of the weather while you can and we’ll see you soon about next season!